It is really dangerous to drive during a foggy weather, especially at night. The fog might be hiding something that might be hardly visible which can cause accidents. But there are instances that you don’t have a choice but to drive. Here are a few tips on how to be safe when driving in foggy weather.
- Be in a good condition to drive. Be sure that if you are going to drive, you are not intoxicated and are in good health. If you are sleepy, you might want to get a nap first so you would not have trouble trying to stay alert during your drive. Also, do not drive if you are not emotionally balanced. Being too sad or too happy when driving might get you into trouble. Do not drink while you drive; instead, ask another person who is capable to drive for you.
- Check to see that your car is in good condition. Make sure that your windshield and your mirrors are clean so that you can have optimum visibility. Also, test your headlights to make sure that they are working properly. Your tire pressure must also be at its maximum. Check your gas to make sure that you get to your destination. It would be better if you make sure that your gas tank is full.
- Check the weather. You must check the weather so you know what to anticipate when you are on the road. If the weather is going to get much worse, you might want to consider rescheduling your trip. Typical times and places to expect fog are mostly on winter mornings in low grounds. But fogs can change thickness very quickly and unpredictably.
- Turn on your engine. Make necessary adjustments to your mirrors. Turn on your heater and make adjustments so that the air reaches your windshield. This will allow the dry air to keep the moisture from condensing on your windshield so you will not get distracted by having to wipe to clear it.
Ads by Google
Buy/Sell - AyosDito Your Marketplace in The Philippines Super Easy, Free & No Sign Ups! www.AyosDito.ph
Improve Safety on Road with Synthetic Rubber, Find How? Contribute ur Ideas on LANXESS Blog www.blogs.lanxess.in
- Do not take for granted warning signs. These signs are crucial to your driving, most especially that you are driving in a risky weather conditions. Follow the legal speed limits.
- Keep distance from other vehicles. You must observe more or less a few meters from any cars in front of you. If a driver tries to speed up close to you or tries to imply that you are too slow and he is in a hurry, let him pass. You will get there anyway, even when you are driving slowly.
- Watch out for people or animals. You must always keep in mind that pedestrians do not always obey "walk" lights, and can be difficult to see in the fog.
- Drive as slowly as you can. Drivers often subconsciously drive too fast because they are somewhat afraid of the fog and want to get out of it as quickly as they can. You must keep in mind that you will get out of the fog soon. The main priority is to be cautious not to get caught in an accident in the fog.
When you are already in more than a mile visibility, you must turn off your fog lights because this is unpleasant for oncoming cars. The fog lights on the back of your car may disguise your brake lights so do not forget to turn this off, as otherwise this will be really risky. You must always drive in a manner appropriate to the weather conditions and keep in mind not only your safety but also the safety of other people and animals on the road.